header

header

3.04.2009

A Spring Bouquet; Ribbon Flowers - Two Ways (plus a button flower thrown in for good measure)


Is spring taking it's own sweet time in your neck of the woods? Well, it is here. I crave color and life; I want to see green grass and flowers! On this sunny 27 degree day in Pittsburgh, I have to settle for some crafty flowers instead. Do you have any ribbon or buttons lying around? Okay, let's get to work.

Supplies:

Ribbon
Buttons
Floral wire
Floral tape
Needle
Thread
Scissors
Glue gun


Martha taught me this first style of flower. You can use any width of ribbon, just vary the number of ribbons used to adjust for thicker or thinner ribbon.

Here I'm using a thin ribbon, so I cut 8 pieces, 6 inches long. Arrange the ribbons as shown with the centers overlapping. Put a small stitch or two through the center to hold them in place.

Now, take the free ends and bring them into the center, like this, and secure with another stitch or two to hold them in place.

Secure a button or two to the center either with a stitch or hot glue.

Bend the floral wire in half and slide it under the stitches on the back of the flower to form a stem.

Wrap the wire with floral tape to finish (**note to self, apply hand cream before photographing next tutorial)




The next style of ribbon flower uses a thicker ribbon. I used 1 inch grosgrain, but any style of ribbon will do. You can see in the bouquet I also used a 2 inch sheer ribbon and it worked out just as well.


Sew a basting stitch along the edge of the ribbon, like this:


When you pull on the thread, the ribbon naturally gathers to form a flower. See?

Thread a piece of floral wire through the holes in the button(s) and slide it through the center of the ribbon "flower". You can dot some hot glue onto the back of the button to secure it to the ribbon.

Wrap the wire with floral tape, as before.



Bonus Button Flower Tutorial:

Stack your extra buttons in interesting combinations and thread them onto the extra floral wire for a button flower to accent your ribbon flower bouquet. Wrap the wire with floral tape as described previously.



Place your bouquet on the nearest shelf, sip some lemonade, and dream of spring...

40 comments:

  1. Very cute and colorful. I'm ready for spring too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how cheerful! I want to make a bunch of these to brighten up my dreary craft room. COME ON SPRING!!! Thanks so much for the how-to, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are sooooooo WONDERFUL! thank you, thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fantastic!! I love them...I am SO ready for Spring!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, Joy is right. Even I will admit that your creativity is endles. I enjoyed the cabin fever project.

    On another note, I remember reading it before and seeing it today reminded me that you were in Pittsburgh. I grew up in Moon Township and my parents currently reside in Peters Township. Small world.

    Anyway, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Small world, constant complainer!!! Thank you for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these! Great instructions! May I add a tip--heat seal the ends of the grosgrain (pass it through a flame) to keep it from ever raveling.
    Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suzanne, I did do that and forgot to mention it! Thanks for reminding me :)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute!!! Now I've got a project for all my bits of ribbon. Though this also means I've got a reason to hoarde even more ribbon and buttons.

    I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing Blog:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-sprin…ribbon-flowerstutorial-spring-bouquet-of-ribbon-flowers/2009/03/16/
    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello!-- I'd like to contact you about featuring your tutorial but I can't find your email address. Could you email me? Thanks so much!

    beth(at)sewmamasew(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it, so inspiring... i think i'll try to make it too... :) thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it, so inspiring... i think i'll try to make it too... :) thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute! I think I'm going to use the flowers to make hair clips and headbands for all the little girls in my life :) Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you again for the inspiration! My ribbon flowers are finally complete:

    http://thedanidaily.blogspot.com/2009/08/ribbon-flower-headbands.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks - I needed a flower made with narrow ribbons (as I have yards and yards I didn't use for my wedding ... 7 years ago) and I found yours! So cute. Off to find my buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello! I found your tutorial.
    I would like to translate it into Russian and post it in my site. I will mention you and your site (let me know which one).
    Is it possible? What will be your condition?
    Delia
    My site is www.tatianka.ru

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delia,

    I would love for you to translate and link! What a fun idea!

    Jennifer Juniper

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow it`s beautiful...thanks for your tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello! I found your blog and i am interested! I love love flowers and would like to know more on how to design bouquets!

    ReplyDelete
  21. fantastic! thx for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi My name is Carmelita, I am from Aracaju, a small capital of northeastern Brazil. I love your blog and I'm following, and then if you want one that I have with a friend, it will be nice too. I have a website and craft a group on yahoo. I'll pass the address to visit and who knows, may also participate. We have friends from all over the world. Big kiss.

    www.cantodaca.com
    and http://zicaarteiras.blogsopt.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. That tutorial was great! Thanks! I just finished making my own and linked to your blog for the tutorial! I hope that is alright. Let me know if you want me to change it!
    Melissa
    http://pathb4me.blogspot.com/2010/08/ribbon-and-button-flower-arrangement.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those are so beautiful and colourful. I love your creation!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are so cute!!!!!! Love them! And they look easy too! Hooray:) I'll be making some of these to put in a vase with some spring m&m's. Maybe it will make the m&m's last longer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gracias por compartir el tutorial de las flores.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooo!! love this! :) I'm on a bit of a flower frenzy - mostly fabric ones... so loved finding one to use some of my ribbons!

    I linked to your tutorial on:
    http://justfordaisy.blogspot.com/2011/03/fabulous-fabric-flower-tutorials.html

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi could I post this tutorial on my blog? Please let me know thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love all of the flowers, FYI- I like Martha too!
    but back to the flowers. for some reason I have been in my studio makin flowers out of paper, fabric etc and loving it. When I make a card its nice to have a flower to add for dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your flowers, theres more than one way to make SPRING come faster.
    I have been on a frenzy of flower making this spring... its so darn fun! cant stop, but have a variety to use on my cards.
    your very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have been looking everywhere for a simple, cute homemade flower! I am so glad I found yours!! I'm going to make these and attach them to a ribbon belt to wear to my mom's wedding! Thank you so much for making it so simple and adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love them all, but especially the ribbon one. These would make great hair accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful thoughts and your craft work done by you... Excellent..!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your a amazing artist. I wish I had the talent to make something like that. My hands aren't very stable sadly. I don't have good dexterity.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love this. I made one out of a thin, pink ribbon, put a button in the middle and rhinestoned it with a few pink and blue rhinestones. Then I put it on a little clip. It's a birthday gift for a friend's daughter. I'm sure she'll love it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. florisis

    ReplyDelete
  37. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! florisis

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work