header

header

3.24.2009

Tutorial Tuesday: How to Make Wine Cork Place Card Holders


I just love my bloggy friends! Brightfish sent along this project for me and I loved it as soon as I saw it. I'm so excited to throw a party...and the more I think about it, I think it should be a wine tasting.

Let's get started,

Supplies:

Used wine corks, drink up! (you can always ask a local restaurant to save them for you, but what fun is that? I like the stained look of a used cork, and you are recycling something that would be tossed out.)
Card stock
Palm sander or sandpaper and a block of wood
Fine-toothed Hand saw or razor blade



The Big Guy has a handy clamp attached to his tool bench, so I used that to stabilize the cork. It isn't necessary, but it made things easier.


I chose which side would be the bottom of the cork and sanded a flat spot so it wouldn't roll on the table. If you don't have a palm sander, just wrap your sand paper around a blog of wood and sand away.


Next, using your saw or razor blade, cut a groove in the side opposite the flattened side. You will slide your place card into this groove, so experiment until it will fit.

See how the corks don't roll and have a groove? You can buy blank place cards at your local craft store or make your own with a sheet of card stock. I like paper that is aged looking with the used corks.

Set your table with your place cards. Voila!
Hmmmm.... remember my wine tasting party idea? Label the wines or the food. Love it!


I really need to plan a party now, I already have place cards for the perfect guests. Maybe I will post some great hors d'ouevre recipes soon.

15 comments:

  1. Cool idea! You could even use champagne corks sitting vertically!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrisy, I love the champagne corks...but I only had one! Wouldn't they look lovely?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes! bloggy friends are great!!! these are really super duper cute!!! They reminded of a simple little thing I did last week.....I tried to put a link in to your project, but I don't know if it worked????.....I'm truly feeling the need for a wine tasting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. could that be any more clever?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it.. I wish I have half of your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job! I knew that was a "Juniper" kind of project!

    You bring the corks and I'll bring the wine?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is extremely interesting for me to read that article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is very interesting for me to read the post. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shh. Don't tell my sister I'll be making a set of these for Christmas next year. Hmm, I must drink more wine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanted to let you know that I linked this post on my blog entry on wine cork uses. They're very cute and you have a great tutorial!

    http://iwanttomakethis.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know the use of waste materials, can we recycle the plastic cards?
    Gift Card printing
    Scratch Cards
    Printed Gift Cards

    ReplyDelete
  12. A small cheese grater or zester works faster than an electric sander..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this!! It was so simple and extremely helpful! It will make our sons wedding one step easier! Thank you I will link this on my blog in just a few weeks. Thanks again great tutorial!

    Shelikestochat@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. The DIY Wine Cork Place Card Holders are so clever. Featured you on Homemade Wine Cork Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the clever idea, but the pic you posted with the pinot noir place card & the bottle labeled Gavi is absolutely incorrect. All Gavi wines are made from the Cortessi grape variety which is white(similar to Sauvignon Blanc). Gavi is a town in the Piedmont region in Italy.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work