header

header

6.21.2013

Summer Reading List



From what I gather from friends I'm unusual, but I actually catch up on my reading once summer vacation begins.  We have 30 minutes of reading time for all of us during the day and I sit right alongside the kids and read my own books.

I just finished Th1rteen R3asons Why by  Jay Asher and Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris.

I chose 13 Reasons because a student in our high school recently committed suicide and I thought this book might help my 14 year old make some sense of it.  After reading it, I chose not to give it to my son since I wasn't on board with the message the book sent.  The story is of a high school student who also commits suicide and beforehand records a series of audio tapes explaining why and calling out each student she blames for her decision.  After her death, the tapes are to be distributed to the "guilty" for them to listen to. (yes, I just ended this sentence in a preposition and it's really bugging me)

I just hated the lead character by the end of the book and didn't care if she committed suicide or not!  That sounds terrible, but I just couldn't like her, and I didn't like that the author didn't fully explain the brain dysfunction that can also lead to suicidal thoughts.

Me Talk Pretty was just the opposite in weight and I needed some light reading!  It's a collection of short stories that are pretty hilarious.  I have listened to David Sedaris on This American Life podcast when I run, and just imagining the words in his voice made it even funnier. I would recommend this book for fun beach reading this summer!

I finally found Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson, and plan to start it today.  My friend Tara recommended it months ago.

I love to get recommendations and I have a whole Pinterest page devoted to Books I want to Read, as well as a note in my phone.  So, what better place to get book ideas than here?


It's Feedback Friday...

What is on your summer reading list?

What books have you read lately?

What book did you really dislike?

8 comments:

  1. More people need to comment on this-I need some good books. I just finished Caleb's Crossing-about and American Indian that attended Harvard in the 1700's. I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't have to hurry and read it in 2 days b/c I forgot about book club. It was also pretty sad for a summer read and there was no romance, but the author has a Pulitzer,so what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you heard of George MacDonald? Old scottish writer so you get some of that in speech of the characters. One of my personal favorites of his is The Peasant Girl's Dream.

    For shorter fun reading check out G. K Chesterton's Father Brown mysteries. The Wisdom of Father Brown and The Innocence of Father Brown are two of the titles I think.. I've been reading them off of Project Gutenberg online.

    A light romantic read, Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley

    Adventure on the ocean, Kon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl
    Those are a few that I've read lately... I miss living close to the library. We used to join our library's summer reading program too which had something similar to reading 30 mins a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finished up Life of pi just in time to see the movie at the dollar theater. The book draaaggged until the middle but I couldn't put it down after that. Right now I am reading "Olive Kitteridge" which reminds me so much of the characters and story lines of a lot of Maeve Binchey novels. Next up with be "Overdressed" - a book about the fashion industry. Don't forget about the classics - a lot of the stuff I read in high school seems more enjoyable to me as an adult...

    ReplyDelete
  4. 13 Reasons sounds like one of those books that would either be considered awesome, or make the reader rather uncomfortable. I think it'd fall into the latter category!
    I'm a terror for buying books, especially from charity shops, so I have tonnes to read when I get around to it! My reading list contains lots of fantasy, historical fiction, and a few random non-fictions. I haven't read anything for a while because I've been busy with other stuff, but one book I really couldn't get on with was Ulysses by James Joyce!
    An author I absolutely love is Elizabeth Kostova. I think she's only written two books, both on different subjects, both with really well-executed multiple narratives, both really engaging and appealing! Reading her books is the literary equivalent to curling one's toes into a thick, soft carpet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last two books I read were "The sky is Everywhere" by Jandy Nelson and "The Promise of Stardust" by Priscille Sibley. Both were great, pretty quick reads and I would definitely recommend them. I just started a book called Jantsen's gift ~ it's a memoir and I'm not too far into it, but interesting so far. The list of books I want to read is so long........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for all the great recommendations! I seriously need to go to support group meetings " hi, my name is Jen and I can't stop buying books. "

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just ordered 13 reasons for my daughters, they put it on their wishlist.

    I guess you allready have enough suggestions by now, but then again... can you ever have too many books?
    So, we just read "Wonder" by Raquel Palacio - it´s really great, for all ages: My 70 year old friend gave it to me, but my 6 year old sons like it just the same. It´s really well written and a quick, but touching book.

    And I´, just enjoying "The Book Thief" - do I really need to say anything? :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work